RS Software Lab Forum
You are not logged in. Please Register or Login.

Posted: Jun 16, 2012 6:18:00 am
tibby

ATLANTA -- The New York Mets are trying to send an early message in the NL East: This isnt the same team that finished last a year ago. Matt Flynn Elite Jersey . The Braves are certainly taking note. Ike Davis hit a tiebreaking three-run homer and Dillon Gee pitched four-hit ball over seven innings, leading the Mets to another victory over Atlanta, 6-1 Monday night. New York snapped the Braves five-game winning streak and kept up their early dominance in the NL East rivalry, winning again after a three-game sweep of Atlanta in the Big Apple to start the season. "I dont think this is just a nice little start for that team," Braves second baseman Dan Uggla said. "Theyre a good, solid ballclub. All the attention was on the Phillies and us and Miami and Washington. But Ive been telling people not to count out this Mets team." With the game tied at 1 in the sixth, Atlanta intentionally walked hot-hitting David Wright with two outs to get to Davis -- a move that certainly made sense, given the first baseman was batting just .118. The strategy backfired when Davis drove a 2-2 curve from Tommy Hanson (1-2) it into the right-field seats. "Hes thrown (the curve) every at-bat, every pitch, every time Ive faced him," Davis said. "Obviously, they think Im a fastball hitter." Hanson said the breaking ball was right where he wanted it to be. "Sometimes," the pitcher said, "youve got to tip your hat to the other guy." Give a tip of the hat to Gee, too. Atlanta put together a couple of hits and a walk in the second, leading to its only run on Jack Wilsons RBI groundout. Otherwise, Gee (1-1) was never in much trouble. "I was trying to catch them looking with fastballs," he said. "Im happy with where Im at. I feel like all my pitches are where they should be. " Wilson nearly homered in the fifth, but left fielder Jason Bay leaped against the wall to make a brilliant catch above the yellow line. Bay tumbled back onto the warning track and held the ball up for the umpire to make the out call. "Robbing homers isnt a huge part of my game," said Bay, who made a similar catch on Alex Gonzalez last year at Turner Field. "Same spot. Same ball. It was like deja vu. You can feel it in your glove. Its almost like tunnel vision." Wilson pulled up near second base, smiling incredulously at what he had just seen from his former Pittsburgh teammate. "Ill text him later," Wilson said. "It wont be pleasant." That was a familiar look for the Braves on this night, rekindling memories of their opening series in New York. Atlanta wound up losing its first four games, the teams worst start since 1988, but rebounded with the five straight victories to climb above .500. Then New York came to Turner Field. In the early going, at least, the Mets clearly have the Braves number. "Weve got to make some adjustments against them," Uggla said. "Theyve really put it to us these last four games." Atlantas only other serious threat against Gee came in the sixth. Uggla led off with a single, and an apparent double play grounder by Jason Heyward was waved off because the hitters bat nicked the glove of catcher Josh Thole. Atlanta couldnt take advantage of the error as Gee fought back from a 3-1 hole to strike out Eric Hinske, got Wilson on a slow roller that moved the runners to second and third, then fanned pinch-hitter Juan Francisco to end the threat. Hanson went seven innings, allowing just five hits. But his throwing error on an attempted pickoff at first base led to an unearned run in the third, erasing Atlantas early 1-0 lead. Then, in the seventh, Hanson skipped a pitch in the dirt for a wild pitch, allowing Thole to race home from third with an insurance run. Bay capped the scoring with a leadoff homer off Livan Hernandez in the ninth. NOTES: Wright, who went 1 for 3 with a walk, became the first player in Mets history to reach base at least twice in his first seven games of the season. ... Atlantas starters have lasted at least seven innings in three straight games. ... Wilson was denied his first homer since 2009 by Bays stellar grab. ... Michael Bourn picked up a stolen base the easy way in the eighth. With the speedster at second base, New York shifted its defence to put three infielders on the right side of the bag for left-handed hitter Brian McCann. Bourn noticed no one near third base, so he just sprinted over with Jon Rauch standing on the mound with the ball. ... The Braves announced Monday that John Smoltzs number (29) will be retired during a June ceremony. Hell also be inducted into the Braves Hall of Fame. Smoltz retired as the only pitcher with 200 wins and 150 saves. Detroit Lions Nike Jersey . Mussina (13-6) struck out seven and did not walk a batter. It was just the second time all season the crafty right-hander did not allow a run in a start, and the third consecutive time he didnt issue a base on balls. DeMarco Murray Elite Jersey . The worlds top-ranked mens doubles tennis player has won Olympic gold, a career Grand Slam and dozens of titles on the ATP Tour, the latest coming Sunday when he teamed with Nenad Zimonjic to win the Rogers Cup. Authentic LeBron James Jersey Harrison Smith Jersey . -- Jeremy Lin was as comfortable in front of a crowd as he is on the court. Mike Quick Eagles Jersey . However, the much higher ticket prices for high-speed trains and the skipping of quite a number of smaller stations have become grievances for many rail users. The minister of railways announced a shift in its policy this week to address these concerns. CALGARY -- John Hufnagel has lost his right-hand man and hes not happy about it. The Calgary head coach and GM was taken aback by news that Chris Jones was leaving his role as defensive co-ordinator and assistant director of player personnel and football operations to join the Argonauts. Hufnagel said he would have appreciated a call from Toronto seeking permission to talk to Jones. He also said he received no warning from Jones that he was considering leaving prior to Tuesday. "Im not pleased the way it went down. Thats all I will comment on," Hufnagel said Wednesday at McMahon Stadium. "Im very surprised. I had no forewarning of it," Hufnagel added. "Did Toronto contact me? If they had contacted me I wouldnt be so surprised." Though there was no such announcement from Toronto on Wednesday, its believed Jones will serve as defensive co-ordinator and assistant head coach there. Instead, the Argonauts offered their side of the story via a short statement later Wednesday: "The Toronto Argonauts did not request permission from the Calgary Stampeders to talk to Chris Jones," the statement read. "Chris Jones was under contract to the Stampeders. As such, the Argonauts did not believe him to be available for discussion. He does not have a contract with the Toronto Argonauts. "The Toronto Argonauts have no further comment on this situation." A CFL spokesman said the league had been "made aware of the situation" and was looking into it. Jones and Toronto head coach and GM Jim Barker go back. Jones joined the Stamps in 2008 wwhen he was hired away from Montreal by then Calgary GM Barker. Jason Bay Jersey. Jones is expected to also add the role of assistant head coach to his duties in Toronto. Barker is expected to focus on his GM duties, with Montreal offensive co-ordinator Scott Milanovich reportedly taking over as Toronto coach. Jones and Barker were on the Alouettes coaching staff together in 2002. And Jones and Milanovich were in Montreal together in 2007. In losing Jones, Hufnagel will also have to replace a respected talent scout as well as a defensive co-ordinator. Jones ran the Stampeders free agent camps each the winter. Running backs coach Mike Gibson will now do that. "It will be a big loss. Chris is a very talented coach," said defensive tackle Devon Claybrooks. "The cupboards not bare, though. We have good coaches remaining here and a good football team. Coach Huff will do a great job of finding a replacement." Hufnagel has already talked to Stampeders linebacker coach Dave Walkowsky about replacing Jones. Walkowsky just completed his first season with the Stampeders after serving as head coach for three seasons at Tiffin University in Ohio. Walkowsky also has 20 years experience as an assistant coach at the U.S. college level. Hufnagel said he will also look outside his own staff and conduct interviews over the next four weeks, but said he will not pursue a current CFL defensive co-ordinator. "I dont think I will try to get someone elses defensive co-ordinator unless that person contacted me and I received permission to talk to them," Hufnagel said. ' ' '